Thanks for your question. In general, latex (water-based paints) are a much safer alternative than oil-based paints. Pet birds should be kept in a separate, well-ventilated room until the paint is completely dry and no longer has a smell associated with it. I have employed this technique with my own birds and everything has worked out just fine. Once the paint dries, the paint is relatively non-toxic if chewed on or ingested. In contrast, some older paints (those before the 1970’s) had lead in them and could present a significant hazard if consumed.
In the case of oil-based paints, or those that are aerosol or sprayed on, I would advise removing the pet from the premises until all the fumes have subsided. Talk to you soon! Dr. Peter Helmer 813 973 8566.