Tampa Animal and Bird Hospital

Tampa Vet | Veterinarian & Animal Clinic

Site Menu & Locations

New Years Eve Pet Safety Tips

On New Year’s Eve, everyone wants to have an unforgettable night — in a good way. By following a few simple steps, having a good sense of awareness, and taking these pet safety tips to heart, we can all have a happy, healthy, and safe celebration… including your pets!

  • Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
  • Loud noises can scare pets. Give them extra attention so they pets won’t run away in a panic upon hearing the pop of a champagne bottle or exploding fireworks.
  • Keep your pets inside, in a comfortable room, with comforting music playing to drown out loud, unusual noises.
  • Make sure all fences and gates are secure so if pets leave the house, they are confined to the yard.
  • Ask your veterinarian for tranquilizers if your animal has shown signs of extreme uneasiness around loud noises or crowds in the past.
  • Make sure your pet has its ID, or dog license, and if it has a microchip, make sure it is current. This will make it easier to get you pet back if he/she escapes your home and yard during festivities.
  • Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.
  • Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes & raisins, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.
  • Do not put glow jewelry on your pets, or allow them to play with it. While the luminescent substance contained in these products is not highly toxic, excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation could still result from ingestions, and intestinal blockage

If you think your pet may have ingested something toxic, call us immediately.

You may also call the Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

Related article: Poison Prevention For Your Pet

This entry was posted in Caring for your pet, News, Tips & advice and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
Learn more, visit out pet health library:
Pet Health Articles

Subscribe to Our Feed

 In a Reader or by email.