Heartworm Prevention Options For Tampa FL Pet Owners
American Heartworm Society (AHS) survey of U.S. veterinarians finds increase in heartworm-positive cases
- The AHS has unveiled the 2016 Heartworm Incidence Map, based on its nationwide survey.
- The heartworm tide can be turned. In the AHS survey, a majority of veterinarians who reported a drop in heartworm incidence since the 2013 survey attributed the change to owner behavior, including increased usage of heartworm preventives and improved owner compliance.
- 3 out of 4 veterinary respondents reported that they follow the AHS guidelines for heartworm prevention, testing and treatment.
- No state is heartworm-free. Meanwhile, the states with the highest heartworm incidence continue to be in the Southeast, Mid-South and Mississippi Delta region.
- The top 5 states in heartworm incidence were Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas and Tennessee—all states that have been in the top 10 since 2001. Parts of Florida also had a very high number of heartworm cases.
- Approximately 7 in 8 of the surveyed veterinary practices diagnosed heartworm-positive pets during the 2016 calendar year.
- While the 2016 AHS Heartworm Incidence Map may not look a lot different than the previous map, veterinarians surveyed noted a 21.7% increase in the average number of heartworm cases per clinic since the previous survey three years ago.
Although easy to prevent, heartworm disease continues to be a major health problem for dogs living in Florida and throughout the temperate and tropical regions of the world. Fortunately, with a few precautions such as twice a year heartworm testing and the proper preventative medicine, your pet can avoid this deadly disease.
How do you decide which heartworm prevention medication is best? We recommend dogs have continuous, uninterrupted heartworm prevention coverage, so Proheart is the better choice for your pet if you have trouble remembering to give a dose of heartworm preventative monthly, and Trifexis if you are able to be consistent with monthly dosing.
Heatworm Prevention Options
There are many medications out there that treat and prevent various parasites in dogs, including pills, chewables and topically applied liquids. But remembering to give those products every month can be challenging, even for the most well-intentioned and caring dog owners. A missed or delayed dose could put your dog at risk for heartworm disease. That’s why ProHeart 6 may put your mind at ease. With one injection, you protect your dog continuously for the next 6 months.
Proheart (moxidectin) is the only injection that provides 6 full months of continuous heartworm protection in a single dose. Just a simple trip to your veterinarian is all you’ll need to give your best friend extended protection from heartworm disease. We’ll even send you a reminder when it’s time for your dog’s next injection. Only your veterinarian can determine if your dog is a good candidate for ProHeart® 6 (moxidectin). Generally, ProHeart 6 is for healthy dogs 6 months and up.
Protect Your Dog from Parasites with Trifexis®(spinosad + milbemycin oxime). Parasites can be practically anywhere your dog goes — including your home and yard. They pose a serious threat to your dog’s health. That’s why you need to make sure your dog is protected. Luckily, Trifexis makes it easy to give your dog powerful 3-in-1 parasite protection. Trifexis is a once-monthly tablet that:
- Kills fleas and prevents infestations
- Prevents heartworm disease
- Treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections
Trifexis combines two powerful active ingredients that are safe and effective at protecting against parasites. And since it is given orally, there is no need to isolate your dog from your kids or other pets.
Revolution® (selamectin) – Revolution is the first-ever FDA-approved, topically applied heartworm and intestinal parasite control medication for cats that:
- Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching.
- Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
- Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
- Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).
Revolution enters the bloodstream through the skin via topical application. Concentrations of Revolution in the blood and tissues prevent heartworm disease and prevent and treat roundworm and hookworm infections. Revolution selectively redistributes from the blood to the skin and other tissues, where it provides protection against fleas, flea eggs, and ear mites.
Heartworm Incidence 2016
Click image to view larger