Cat tests positive for rabies in Hillsborough
The Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County, has issued a rabies alert for the area near Mallory Square Drive Tampa.
This alert is in response to a cat that tested positive for rabies.
All residents of Hillsborough County should be aware that rabies is present in the wild animal population and domestic animals are at risk if not vaccinated. The public is asked to maintain a heightened awareness that rabies is active in Hillsborough.
This is the second case of rabies in the county this year, the first case was reported February 17th, in the Citrus Park area.
The recent rabies alert is for 60 days. The center of the rabies alert is at Mallory Square Drive, Tampa, FL 33635 and includes the following area boundaries in Hillsborough County:
- Tampa Bay Trail, East Boundary
- Hillsborough Ave, South Boundary
- West Waters Ave, North Boundary
- Southern Brook Bend, West Boundary
The only treatment for human exposure to rabies is rabies specific immune globulin and rabies immunization. Appropriate treatment started soon after the exposure, will protect an exposed person from the disease.
The following advice is issued:
- Keep rabies vaccinations up to date for all pets. Contact us if you have any questions.
- If your pet is bitten by a wild animal, seek veterinary assistance for the animal immediately and contact the Hillsborough County Pet Resource Center at (813) 744-5660
- Do not handle, feed, or unintentionally attract wild animals by leaving pet food outside, or garbage cans open.
- Never adopt wild animals or bring them into your home.
- Teach children never to handle unfamiliar animals, wild or domestic, even if they appear friendly.
- Prevent bats from entering living quarters or occupied spaces in homes, churches, schools, and other similar areas, where they might come in contact with people and pets.
Persons who have been bitten or scratched by wild or domestic animals should seek medical attention and report the injury to the Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County at (813) 307-8059.
- Behavior (8)
- Caring for your pet (252)
- Community Events (18)
- From Our Clients (15)
- News (389)
- Press (53)
- Products (1)
- Questions (4)
- Recalls (1)
- Special Offers (5)
- Tips & Advice (231)
- Uncategorized (18)
- Veterinary Services (50)