Top 7 Food Dangers For Dogs And Cats
During the holiday season, we usually see an increase in Tampa area pets becoming ill from ingesting certain people foods that are bad for them. With the holidays approaching, it’s probably a good idea to look out for the top 7 food dangers for dogs and cats:
- Xylitol-containing products (xylitol is an artificial sweetener often found in sugar-free candy and gum);
- Chocolate (although some types of chocolate are not as toxic as others, it’s safer to keep your pet away from all types of chocolate);
- Grapes and raisins;
- Fatty and fried foods;
- Macadamia nuts
A few simple measures can prevent accidental pet poisoning:
- Use covered trash bins to prevent access to disposed medications, empty cleaning bottles, dental floss and food.
- Keep pets out of the garage or shed, away from oil and antifreeze leaks from cars.
- Don’t store cleaners under sinks.
- During the holidays, cover the tree water so pets can not drink out of the stand. Pine needles are poisonous.
If you think your pet may have ingested something toxic, call us immediately.