Keeping Your Pet Calm and Happy on New Years Eve
New Year’s Eve is right around the corner! And the sounds of celebration – the horns, fireworks, continuous doorbells announcing guests – are great fun for people, but not always for our dogs. In fact, 46% of dog owners reported their dog showed signs of stress during the holidays; that stress could be due to noise aversion.
Here are some tips to help keep you pet calm and happy:
- Try to exercise your pet earlier in the day of the event.
- Keep your pet inside during the fireworks show.
- Provide a safe place inside for your pet to retreat. When scared of sounds pets can not orient very well. If your pet is happy in a crate, that is a great option.
- Covering the crate can also be helpful. Removing visual stimulation can calm most pets.
- Make sure all your pets are wearing ID on a properly fitting collar or harness, in case they escape. Get them microchipped, if they aren’t already.
- Give your pet something fun to do – like a frozen treat.
- Sound Therapy is most effective when you first play music before the fireworks start, at a time the dog is already feeling peaceful and relaxed. He will begin to associate the music with being calm and content.
Tactile: You can hold your companion if they will safely allow you.
Medications: For more serious sound phobias, please call us and speak with a doctor to see if there may be a medication that can help relieve your pet’s fear.
We offer a new medication called SILEO at some of our hospitals. SILEO helps to alleviate signs of noise aversion by:
- Calming without sedating, so that the dog remains fully functional to interact normally with the family
- Reducing the dog’s suffering and distress as well as the pet owner’s stress, helping to preserve the human-animal bond.
SILEO is easy for pet owners to administer at home, when needed, during noise events and works on its own without behavior modification or other treatments.
- Behavior (8)
- Caring for your pet (254)
- Community Events (18)
- From Our Clients (15)
- Happy Tails (1)
- News (393)
- Press (53)
- Products (1)
- Questions (4)
- Recalls (1)
- Special Offers (5)
- Tips & Advice (231)
- Uncategorized (18)
- Veterinary Services (50)