New Rules Regarding Reptiles
Learn more, visit out pet health library:
Posted on May 5, 2021 in News
New rules took place on April 29, 2021 to protect Florida from high-risk, non-native reptiles. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation and Commission (FWC) is helping people who have pet Green Iguanas and Tegus come into compliance. As part of these new rules, pet owners will have 90 days to microchip these pets.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR NEW RULES
- Effective date for new rules: April 29, 2021
- 90-day grace period to apply for a permit, upgrade indoor caging, and have any qualifying animals PIT tagged ends: July 28, 2021
- 180-day grace period to upgrade outdoor caging requirements for Prohibited reptile species ends: October 26, 2021
- Persons or businesses in possession of the newly listed Prohibited reptiles for commercial sale use have until July 28, 2021 to liquidate their inventory in Florida. These species may not be possessed for commercial sale purposes in Florida after July 28, 2021, except green iguanas or tegus possessed by qualifying entities under a limited exception commercial use permit.
- For complete details on the new rules, please visit MyFWC.com/ReptileRule.
The FWC is hosting several complimentary “Tag Your Reptile Day” events. Locally, you can take advantage of this event on June 19, 2021 at Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more details on these events, please visit MyFWC.com/ReptileRule.
- Behavior (8)
- Caring for your pet (252)
- Community Events (18)
- From Our Clients (15)
- News (388)
- Press (53)
- Products (1)
- Questions (4)
- Recalls (1)
- Special Offers (5)
- Tips & Advice (231)
- Uncategorized (18)
- Veterinary Services (50)