Questions & Answers

Are mushrooms bad for dogs?

With the rain we’ve had recently, you’ve probably seen mushrooms popping up all over the place. Did you know they can be dangerous for your dog?

The rain has been falling, and that means mushrooms are sprouting.  That could be harmful to your dog.  Some dogs will eat anything.

There are thousands of types of mushrooms. Some are okay for your animal to eat, but some can be deadly. If left untreated, a dog that ate enough could die within 3-5 days.

So we recommend keeping your dog away from all mushrooms. Jen Armstrong with Young-Williams Animal Center says, “Well just like for people, some are poisonous for people and some aren’t. It’s the same for dogs. Some are poisonous for some dogs, and some are not.”

Armstrong with Young Williams says if your dog eats any watch for warning signs like vomiting, diarrhea or worse. Armstrong says, “They may have diarrhea or seizure like activity. If you know what it is, make sure you bring them to the vet so they can look up and see if it’s toxic.”

She says there are other plants that are poisonous to your pets too, like ferns. So if you notice your dog is sick, take them to the vet. Armstrong says, “Time if of the essence. The sooner you get them to the vet, the better off they are.”

If your dog eats a mushroom, make sure you take it to the vet so they can find out if it’s poisonous. Take one of the mushrooms, wrap it in a moist paper towel and put it in a plastic bag so they have a way to figure out what kind it is.


Article courtesy of
Ask the vets your question
  • Your name will not be published.
  • Your email will not be published. But we'd like to be able to alert you when your question has been answered.
  • Please be as brief as possible
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Scroll To Top