Rabies Warning in Hillsborough County
The Hillsborough County Department of health has issued a rabies warning for the area surrounding Glen Harlen Rd. This includes: North of I4, East of N. Branch Forbes Rd., South of Thonotosassa Rd., and West of Bethlehem Rd. Rabies activity can still occur outside of this area.
This is in response to a white and grey linx point cat who has tested positive for rabies .
Rabies is present in the wild animal population through out Hillsborough County. Leaving unvaccinated domestic animals at risk for infection. All domestic animals should be and are required by law to be vaccinated against rabies.
Please maintain a heightened awareness that rabies is present in our wild life, and contact with wild life should be avoided, particularly raccoons, bats, foxes, skunks, otters, bobcats, and coyotes.
Rabies is a disease to the nervous system and is fatal to warm blooded animals.
The only treatment for human exposure to rabies is rabies specific immune globulin and rabies immunization. Appropriate treatment started soon after the exposure will protect an exposed person from the disease.
Be sure your pet’s rabies vaccine is current. Schedule your appointment today!
Protect your pets and family by following the suggestions listed below:
- Make sure that your pets are properly vaccinated for rabies. Florida law requires this.
- Stay away from all unknown farm livestock and free-roaming (raccoons, foxes, skunks, bats) wildlife.
- Keep your pets on your property. Do not allow pets to roam free without supervision.
- Do not handle, feed, or unintentionally attract wild animals by leaving pet food outside, or garbage cans open.
- Teach children never to handle unfamiliar animals, wild or domestic, even if they appear friendly.
- If you think you were bitten or scratched by the animal described above please contact the Health Department at the number listed below.
- For further information on rabies, go to http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/rabies/index.html, or contact DOH-Hillsborough at 813-307-8059.
Please call us if your pet is due for their rabies vaccine.