Scariest Halloween Hazards
It’s almost the spookiest night of the year! During the week of Halloween, call volumes at Pet Poison Helpline increase significantly, making it consistently one of their busiest weeks of the year. While most of the calls involve dogs of various breeds and sizes, other animals such as cats, ferrets, and pocket pets were also represented. Here is a reminder to keep your pets safe from these common Halloween exposures!
- Chocolate: Beware the dark and bitter spirits and chocolates this time of year.
- Raisins: Great for kids, bad for canine kidneys!
- Xylitol: Sugar free candy and gum cause a deadly blood sugar drop in dogs.
- Costumes: Pet costumes may contain lead or zinc and can be harmful if swallowed.
- Batteries: Chewed or ingested batteries from flashlights or light-up costumes and props can results in chemical burns.
- Boos! Not Booze! Alcohol leads to rapid sedation, shock and low blood sugar in pets.
24/7 ANIMAL POISON CONTROL CENTER: (855) 764-7661
Please contact any of our locations if you have any questions or concerns.
Info courtesy of Pet Poison Hotline