What to do if you find injured or orphaned wildlife

Learn more, visit out pet health library:
What to do if you find injured or orphaned wildlife
Posted on April 30, 2022 in News, Tips & Advice

We have been getting a lot of calls lately from good Samaritans in search of help for an injured or seemingly displaced wild animal. Here’s what to do if you find yourself in this position.

When finding a baby animal, it is generally best to leave it alone. Often the animal is not orphaned, and the parent may be out getting food for the animal, or watching the baby from a distance. Never pick up baby animals and remove them from their natural environment!

When encountering injured wildlife, please contact the appropriate FWC-licensed wildlife rehabilitator in your area. A list of wildlife rehabilitators by county can be accessed here: Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitators.

You can also contact the FWC’s Captive Wildlife Unit at (850) 488-6253, or the appropriate Regional Office for local wildlife rehabilitator contact information.

If the animal is a domestic or feral animal, such as a dog, cat, or horse, please contact the nearest Humane Society, Animal Services Office, or Animal Control Agency.

Additional information about reporting injured manatees or sea turtles.

Scroll To Top